You can use a custom number field with completion actions and automation rules to set up a counter for prospect file downloads, page actions, form submissions and more. This method can be used to create an additional scoring model* or an alternative form of counting a particular criteria or activity.
*Note: The Scoring Categories feature, which is available for Pro and Ultimate accounts, is an out-of-the-box option for multiple scoring models.
Before You BeginBefore you begin, you'll need to create a custom field with the field type set to number and decide to use automation rules or completion actions: Automation Rules only run once so should only be used to count unique activities towards an overall total number of unique content items being downloaded. For example, if you want to increment a prospect field by 1 if they download Whitepaper A, it will only count this download once -- even if the prospect downloads Whitepaper A 3 times. Completion Actions should be used to count each time an action is completed. For example, if you want to increment a prospect field by 1 each time they download Whitepaper A, a completion action will increment the prospect field each time the prospect downloads the whitepaper. If they download the whitepaper 3 times, the prospect field value will be 3.
Incrementing Using Automation Rules
- Create an automation rule.
- In the Rules section set up the criteria you want to use to increment.
- In the Actions section, choose Increment prospect field value as the action, choose your custom field, and enter the increment value.
Incrementing Using Completion Actions
- Add a completion action to a form, form handler, file, custom redirect, email or page action.
- Choose Increment prospect field value as the action, choose your custom field, choose + or -, and enter the increment value.