Segmentation rules allow you to pull a one-time list of prospects based on specific criteria. Unlike automation rules, segmentation rules do not run continuously. See Segmentation Rules Overview for more information on when and how to use segmentation rules.
To create a segmentation rule:
- Navigate to Marketing > Segmentation > Rules.
- Click +Add Segmentation Rule.
- Enter a Name for your segmentation rule. This is internal-only.
- Optional: enter Tags
- Click Set Rules.
- Select a Match type: Match All – All aspects of the Rule must be satisfied in order to take the action(s) Match Any – Only one aspect of the Rule must be satisfied in order to take the action(s)
- Build a rule. Add or Remove Rules by click +Add new rule button. To remove criteria, click the trashcan icon on the left side of the specific rule. You can also add multiple criteria in a single line by separating each value with a semicolon, which uses OR logic (“Match Any”) when selecting a positive operator (“contains” or “is”). If a negative operator is selected (“doesn’t contain” or “isn’t”), then it uses AND logic (“Match All”) due to boolean logic. See Segmentation Rule Criteria Reference for criteria definitions and information. Notes:
- The text field is limited to 255 characters, so you may have to split up very large rules into several lines.
- If you want the rule to match values that include a semicolon, you will need to add quotes around the value (i.e. ”this has a ; semicolon in it”). Select the “- ANY -” criteria option for forms, form handlers, landing pages, files, and custom redirects rather than listing out every item in your rules.
- If you are using the "Prospect account field" rule, prospects must have an account in order to match, even if the rule uses the "doesn't contain", "isn't", or "is empty" options.
- Choose an Action. Add or Remove Actions by clicking + Add new action button.
- If you create an action that you would like to remove, click the trash can icon on the left side of the specific rule.
- Click Preview to preview your rule and see a list of the prospects who will be affected. If you need to make adjustments to the rule, click the Building tab.
- To share the preview with other Pardot users, copy the link.
- Click Run Segmentation to run your segmentation rule. The actions will be carried out in the background and you will receive an email when the processes have been completed.