Salesforce checkboxes are true/false fields and Pardot checkboxes are multi-selects, which can cause some confusion if you try to map them together.
You can create a basic true/false checkbox that syncs between Salesforce and Pardot. If the prospect leaves the box unmarked, it syncs with Salesforce as false. If the prospect marks the box, it syncs with Salesforce as true.
You want a checkbox on a Pardot form that asks prospects to agree with your terms before submitting. You want this field to sync with a lead or contact record in Salesforce. When a prospect fills out your form and marks "I agree with the terms", that field syncs with Salesforce as "true". If the field has been added to your lead or contact page layout, it will show a checkbox on record.
Creating Your Fields
- In Salesforce, create a a lead or contact checkbox field. Leave Default Value set to Unchecked. For help with creating custom fields in Salesforce, see Salesforce's documentation here.
- In Pardot, navigate to Admin > Configure Fields > Prospect Fields. Click + Add Custom Field.
- Enter a Name.
- In the Salesforce Field Name dropdown, select the name of the Salesforce field you just created.
- From the Sync Behavior drop down, select Use Pardot's Value.
- Set type to Radio Button.
- Mark Use pre-defined values (for checkboxes, radio buttons, drop downs, and multi-selects).
- Add two values: true and false (important: these are case-sensitive).
- Click Save custom field.
Adding the Field to Pardot Forms
- Create or edit a Pardot form.
- In the Fields tab, click + Add New Field.
- Select your custom field from the Prospect Field dropdown.
- Click Load Default Data next to the dropdown.
- Change Type to Checkbox.
- Click the Values tab.
- Click the trashcan icon next to the false value to delete it.
- Click the A icon next to the true value and enter text that will be displayed next to the checkbox. In this example, it says "I agree to the terms."
- Click the Basic tab.
- Optional: delete or edit the text in Label. In this example, the label gets changed to "Do you agree to the terms?"
- Click Save changes to exit the form field editor.
- Finish editing your form and save as usual.