This feature is deprecated and is only available for accounts created before 5/1/2015. If your account was created before 5/1/2015, you can download this feature by logging into Pardot, hovering over your email address, and then clicking Downloads. Click here for a video walkthrough.
- Download the extension.
- Open the Thunderbird application.
- In the Tools menu, select Add-ons.
- Click the cog icon next to the search bar, then select Install Add-On from File.
- Browse for the Thunderbird extension file and click Open.
- Enter your Pardot email address and password.
- Restart Thunderbird when prompted.
- You will now see a "Send with Pardot" button next to your normal send button. Using this will automatically track all links in your email (they must be written as http://...) and assign the recipient to you as a new prospect. If the prospect already exists in Pardot, the email will be added to the existing record as an activity.
Installation NotesIf you have other Thunderbird extensions installed, they may conflict with the Pardot extension and prevent it from functioning properly. If you have previous versions of the Pardot plugin, Thunderbird will auto-update to the newest version when that update becomes available.
Using the Plug-inWhen an email is sent via the plug-in's Send with PI button, the following actions can occur:
- Any link beginning with http:// (or https://) is rewritten as an individually tracked link. Links are tracked to the first recipient in the To: field of the email.
- If a prospect with that email address already exists in Pardot, the email activity is added to the prospect's record. If the sender of the email is different from the prospect's assigned owner, the prospect remains assigned to their original owner.
- If the prospect already exists in Pardot and is unassigned, the prospect will be assigned to the sender of the plug-in email and their email activity recorded.
- If a prospect does not exist in Pardot with that email address, a new prospect record is created in Pardot and assigned to the user who sent the email. The new record will likely only have an email address and other fields may need to be filled in at a later point.
- A new lead record, assigned to the user who sent the email, is created in the connected CRM system if applicable. If a contact or lead already exists (using the identical email address), the email will simply be added to the existing record as an activity.
Plug-in CampaignProspects created with the plug-in will be associated with a campaign named Email Plug-in by default. To change the campaign associated with your email plug-in, administrator users can take the following steps:
- Click on My Settings in the top right of the Pardot interface.
- Click Edit account.
- Select Email Plug-in Campaign from dropdown
- All prospects created using the Outlook, Thunderbird, and Apple Mail plug-ins will be tagged with this campaign.
- Because of the way Pardot uniquely tracks links, it is generally best to not send tracked emails to multiple recipients at once. If multiple people receive the email or the email is forwarded and others click the links, there is a risk that they could be tracked as though they were the first recipient.
- The plug-in will track each link that begins with http:// (or https://). If you have links that you do not wish to track, you would need to begin them without the http://.
- HTML opens are only tracked if the recipient clicks on a link in the message (we cannot tell if they downloaded images).
Release HistoryNote: The release history of the Thunderbird Plug-in below was compiled retroactively and may not be complete.
- March 6, 2013 - v1.1.3. Corrects an issue with the message type selector (HTML or text).
- February 22, 2013 - v1.1.1. Corrects an issue with credentials and the message type selector (HTML or text).
- October 4, 2011. Supports Thunderbird versions 7, 8, 9.
- August 18, 2011. Supports Thunderbird 5.0.
- August 31, 2010 - 1.0.5. Supports Thunderbird version 3.1.2.