Below are the steps you will need to follow to send a list email to a list of prospects in Pardot:
- Email Authentication - Have your IT department add both SPF and DomainKeys records to your DNS for the email domain(s) you'll be sending emails from (the domain in the email you select as the "from" address). Doing so will improve the deliverability of emails sent through Pardot to improve the chances of getting through to your prospects' inboxes rather than your message going to their spam/junk folder. More details on how to obtain these records and add them are available in Email Authentication.
- Tracker Domains - Have your IT department set up CNAME records for any tracker domains you want to serve content from, and choose one as your primary tracker domain. Your primary tracker domain is used to rewrite and track links in the emails you send out (anything starting with http:// or https:// is rewritten to include the CNAME rather than go.pardot.com), and in the URLs for your landing pages and hosted files in Pardot. See Setting up Tracker Domain for instructions.
- Tracking Code - In order to track your prospects' activities on your website once they click on links in your email, you will want to add the Pardot tracking code to every page (just before the close body tag is usually best). Adding the tracking code to your site will also allow you to track the page views of anonymous visitors that have not yet converted to prospects. Details on obtaining and adding the code to your site are available in Tracking Code.
- Creating/Updating Your List - In order to send a list email to more than one prospect, you will need to ensure your prospects are on a list in Pardot. There are several options for adding prospects to a list including importing a CSV file, creating an automation or segmentation rule, and adding prospects to the list manually. These options and steps are described in more detail in Lists.
- Creating a Campaign - Every list email must be tagged with a campaign — it can be an existing campaign or you can create a new one specific for this email marketing effort. For step by step instructions on creating a campaign, visit Campaigns.
- Creating Your Email - We recommend creating a new email template for each list email you send so that you have the option to easily copy and/or resend the same content later if you need to. The email can be created in the Pardot interface from scratch, by using one of our many pre-formatted templates, or you can import HTML source code if you created your email content outside of Pardot. More details on these options and the steps for creating an email template are available in Email Templates.
- Testing Your Email - You will want to test out your email before sending it to your prospect list in several email clients and browsers to ensure the links in the message are correct and there aren't any formatting or styling issues. You can do this within the email wizard. During the test step, select your internal test list from the dropdown field to send a test email before finalizing your email. Click Send Test Email. For more information, please see Send Emails to a Test List. The Advanced Analytics Email Package is also a great tool for previewing your email in several email clients and browsers and provides a spam analysis of your email content. It is included in the Ultimate and Pro Edition and is available as an add-on for Standard Edition accounts. If you have any issues with deliverability, you will want to review Steps To Avoid the Junk Filter.
- Sending Your Email - Once you have completed the steps above, you are ready to send your email out using the template you created. Detailed instructions are available in Sending Email. If you have added a dedicated IP address to your Pardot Account or are a new Pardot client, you will also need to follow the steps for warming up your IP address to build your email sending reputation and improve delivery performance.
- Email Report - After your email has been sent to your prospect list, you will want to view the email report to see the numbers of clicks, opens, bounces, etc. The reporting metrics are explained in List Email Report.