The Sending tab of Email Flow is where you add Recipient and Suppression lists, schedule and then deploy your email. There are several steps in this process, so we've broken them down into sections for you here.This article covers the Sending Tab in Email Flow. These articles can help you navigate each step of Email Flow if you're not familiar with them:
Creating Emails with Email Flow
Email Flow Builder Overview
Testing Emails with Email Flow
Set your email's recipients and choose prospects who should not receive your email.
Note: If you can't find the To section, you're editing an email template. Because email templates can't be sent directly to a list, the To section is available only in emails.
- Select one or more lists from the Lists (Send To) dropdown. Prospects on more than one list you select will only receive one copy of the email.
- Optional: Select lists from the Suppression Lists (Don't Send To) dropdown. Prospects on the specified suppression list(s) will not receive the mailing.
- Check Total Mailable Prospects under the email's preview image to view the total number of mailable prospects who will receive your email. This number sums the number of prospects on the recipient list(s) and subtracts the number of unmailable and opted out prospects and prospects on suppression lists.
FromCreate a sender hierarchy by selecting a User. For more information on how the email’s variable tags will populate based on the chosen sender, see Variable User Tags in Emails. Use the + icon to add new senders to the hierarchy. Use the trashcan icon to remove senders. The available options are:
- Prospect CRM User Custom Field:* Send the email from the prospect’s CRM User Custom Field value. If there’s no value for the CRM User Custom Field, the email will be sent from the prospect’s account owner in the CRM.
- If the prospect has no account owner, the email will be sent from the prospect’s assigned user.
- If there is no assigned user for the prospect, the email will be sent from the general user specified.
- If the prospect is not assigned, send from the specified general or specific sales user.
- *This is only available for Salesforce users. The Salesforce connector has an optional setting: “Automatically match Salesforce users to Pardot users”. Toggling this option on for your connector allows you to automate matching CRM user seats to Pardot users for use with the Send from Custom CRM User feature.
- General User: Enables a general address (e.g., firstname.lastname@example.org) or a non-Pardot user to be the sender of the Email. (As a best practice, we recommend sending email from a person’s email address, as general info@ or marketing@ sender addresses can be a trigger for spam filters).
- Specific User: Select from a list of your users in Pardot to use as the email’s sender.
- Assigned User: Send the email from the prospect’s assigned sales representative. If the prospect is not assigned, send from the specified general or specific sales user. If there is no assigned user for the prospect, the email will be sent from the general user specified.
- Account Owner: Send the email from the prospect’s account owner in the CRM. If the prospect has no account owner, the email will be sent from the prospect’s assigned user.
- Sender must have either a specific user or a general user as the last option in the hierarchy. This is to prevent issues when a prospect does not have an assigned user.
- If all users in the sending hierarchy are deleted in Pardot, the email will be sent from the last user to update the template.
Custom Reply-To Email AddressEnter an optional “reply-to” email address to have replies and OOO notices go to an address other than the sender’s. Replies to your email and out of office notifications will be sent to the designated “reply-to” email address. If no “reply-to” email address is entered, the replies will be sent to the selected sender of the email. Note: The recipient's email server decides whether or not to honor the custom Reply-To address. This means that some replies and OOO notices may go to the sender's address, depending on the recipient's email server.
SubjectAdjust your Subject Line before sending as needed. Just enter a new or edited subject line into the text field box. All emails must have a subject line to be sent. This subject line will override any subject line you may have entered in the Building tab.
Completion ActionsUse optional completion actions to add supplemental automation to your email. Select certain actions to take place when a prospect opens the email, clicks on a link in the email or unsubscribes.
- Your options include:
On Click (Any URL) Take action when prospects click on any and all links in the email. This action will be repeated for each unique link the prospect clicks except for the unsubscribe link (the completion action will run every time the prospect clicks the unsubscribe link). On Click (Specific URL) Check this box to execute completion actions to occur on just one link vs. applying the actions to all links in the email. Select the link from the drop down that appears. For now we only allow one link to be selected for completion actions and we exclude the unsubscribe link from the available choices. Pardot will only run a completion action on the first click for each link they click. On Open Take action when prospects open the email by downloading the images. We will also record an “open” and run completion actions if the prospect clicks on a link within the message without downloading images since it’s clear they viewed the message. Pardot will only run a completion action on the first open.Text only emails do not contain images so there is not a way to tell if a prospect has viewed the message unless they access/click a link within it. If they do click, we will record an email tracker “click” as well as an “open,” and we will run any completion actions based on the open. On Unsubscribe Take action when a prospect clicks the unsubscribe link. Unlike opens and link clicks, Pardot records every unsubscribe click and therefore, will run a completion action every time the unsubscribe link is clicked.
- Review the list of available completion actions and their meanings before selecting what meets your needs
- You can add multiple completion actions for each email action – click “Add new completion action” or the green circle with white ‘+’
Schedule and/or Send EmailEmails can be sent immediately, saved as a draft or scheduled for sending later.
- To send your email immediately, click Send Now. You're done! Now report on it.
- To schedule your email to send later, click the Schedule button. This will launch a time/date chooser with a calendar.To save your email as a draft, click the action gear next to the Basic Info button and select Save and Exit from the dropdown menu.
- Track Performance button: You can navigate directly to the List Email Report for this email
- Back to Drafts button: Go back to your email drafts
- Home button: Return to the home page.