Pardot provides for several different ways for prospects to be converted from anonymous visitors into known people. Here are the different ways prospects can be converted in order of ease of implementation:
The CRM, if present, is always the master in terms of prospect information. For example, if you use number two above, Pardot would then look for that prospect in the CRM and pull down the other fields for scoring and automation rule purposes.
- Using a form as an iframe on your page to capture the prospect's information and show a custom thank you message.
- Using a form handler to receive the input of an existing form on your site and then redirect the form submission contents to another page on your site (or another URL like the Salesforce Web-to-Lead form).
- Using a landing page with a form to capture the prospect's information and show a custom thank you page.
- When existing prospects that are browsing anonymously on your website click on email links or submit a form, their anonymous activities get tied to their existing prospect record.
- With the above methods, prospects are able to convert naturally through their own action. However, you can also manually assign visitor activity to a new or existing prospect using the Create / associate link in the Visitor module. (This is not as easy as it seems since you should be very sure that the person you are assigning is the person visiting your site!)