Dynamic lists are rule-based lists of prospects that automatically update as prospect data changes. You can't add or remove prospects manually -- instead, you set up list rules and Pardot automatically adds matching prospects and deletes them when they no longer match.
Similarities and Differences between Static and Dynamic Lists
Dynamic lists, like static lists, can be used as recipient lists or suppression lists for an email newsletter, to seed a drip nurturing program or used in further automation or segmentation criteria (“prospect list is…”).
The dynamic lists rule builder interface is similar to automation and segmentation rules – all the criteria and match options are available in dynamic list creation as well.
The benefit of dynamic lists is that you can create a list of prospects that is tailored to specific criteria. Create the new list, select the criteria, and if a prospect matches that criteria then they are added to the dynamic list. If for some reason they no longer match the criteria, they will be removed from the list.
Static lists can be edited manually; however, you cannot manually add or remove prospects to dynamic lists. Instead, dynamic lists refresh constantly, adding prospects who now match the criteria and removing the prospects who no longer match. Because of this, you will not see dynamic lists as an option in dropdowns in the import screen, data tables or anywhere else throughout Pardot where you manually control list membership. You also will not see dynamic lists in the CRM list management view dropdown.
Note: Static lists cannot be converted into dynamic lists.
Dynamic Lists Best Practices
Dynamic lists are most helpful when you are creating a list based on prospect data that will change often -- you need a list where prospects can be added or removed often. For example, you could build a membership list of current members of your organization. If someone fails to renew their membership and you mark the membership change in a field in their Pardot record (either manually or through a CRM sync) Pardot will recognize that value changed and remove the prospect from the dynamic membership list.
Note: If you designate a dynamic list as a recipient list in a scheduled email send then the email will be sent to all prospects that are on the dynamic list at the time the email is sent (the most refreshed version of the dynamic list at the scheduled send time) as opposed to the list membership at the time the email was initially scheduled/set up.
- Not every list needs to be dynamic. Sometimes you need to build a list where prospects are added to the list but there is no reason to remove them. For example, making a list of all prospects who complete your Contact Us form. This type of list can be created through an automation rule where prospects who complete the form will match the rule once and be added to the list.
- Dynamic lists will only include prospects who meet the list criteria.
- If a prospect no longer meets the dynamic list criteria then they will be removed from the dynamic list.
- After the prospect is removed from the dynamic list they will no longer receive emails sent to that list.
- The prospect will also be removed from any drip programs using the dynamic list as a recipient list.
Can I manually refresh my dynamic list?
No, dynamic lists refresh automatically so there's no need to manually refresh.
Not what you're looking for? Check out these other articles:
Creating Dynamic Lists
- Standard edition accounts can have up to 50 active dynamic lists; Pro and Ultimate Edition accounts have unlimited dynamic lists. If you need additional lists, please contact our advocate team for tips on how to optimize your current dynamic list set up.
- You can mark dynamic lists as public and display them on your Email Preference Center where prospects can opt-out of the list if they choose.
- To enable this, click the checkbox under Edit List that says, “Public List: Display this list in the email preference center”.
- Only prospects who meet the dynamic list criteria will be able to see public dynamic lists on Email Preference Pages.
- If you split a dynamic list, the resulting lists will be static. Static lists cannot be converted to dynamic lists.
- This means that a prospect will not automatically be added to the split lists (via the dynamic rule criteria) once the split has occurred.
- These new static lists will now exist in addition to the original dynamic list that was split.
- When using the account or opportunity rule criteria, the dynamic list will match only those prospects that have an associated opportunity or account. Prospects without an opportunity or account will not match the list.
Need more? Start a conversation with other Pardot users in our Success Community