The 'Autofill Location Data' feature happens immediately when the prospect submits a form. We source this data from a local instance of the Maxmind GeoIP database, which you can demo at maxmind.com.
Admins can enable the feature using these steps:
- Hover over your email address in the top right, then click Settings > Edit Account.
- Scroll to the bottom of Account Settings, and mark box for Auto-fill Prospect Location Data from IP Address.
- Click Save account when finished.
- This feature will prevent values from syncing with Salesforce if state and country picklists are enabled in Salesforce.
- The format is country name and state/province two-letter code (for example: GA for Georgia, and BC for British Columbia)
- We only fill in State for Canadian and US IP addresses. Pardot appends only the Country for visitors outside of the US and Canada.
- We will not automatically fill in these two fields if any location data is already filled in for the prospect; this includes the Address One, Address Two, Country, State, City, and Zip fields. This prevents any possibility of address data not matching (e.g. you already had state info on a prospect but they visit your site from another country while on vacation).
- Since we use the IP address of the prospect, it may not always be 100% accurate. The prospect may be accessing your site while traveling, in another state or country. Also note that the IP address is of the prospect’s actual location. The headquarters of his or her company may be in a different location.
- If your form or form handler is set to Kiosk Mode, the country and state from prospect IP address will not auto-append.
- Geo-IP data is captured through WhoIs lookup; if no data for City or State is available, no data will be appended to the prospect record.