Completion actions are a great way to automate different activities within an existing element rather than always having to create an automation rule to accomplish the same result. Completion actions are available within forms, form handlers, files, custom redirects, emails and page actions.
Completion Action Notes
- Completion actions are not retroactive and will only apply to activities moving forward once you add them.
- Completion actions execute every time the action is completed except for adjust score and send autoresponder email. See Completion Action Throttling below for more details.
- Completion actions only execute for prospects (they will not affect visitors).
- Completion actions will not execute for image files.
- Completion actions will not execute for filtered activities.
- Although similar to automation rules, segmentation rules and prospect table actions, completion actions have unique functionality and are best used in certain scenarios. If you are unsure which action to use, review our Prospect Actions comparison table.
- Completion actions based on link clicks will not trigger on unsubscribe links, or Email Preference Page clicks.
Completion Action Definitions
|Add tags||This action will apply the prospect tag(s) of your choice.|
|Add to list||This action will assign a prospect to the list of your choice.|
|Add to Salesforce campaign *||This action will tag a prospect with the Salesforce campaign of your choice. You will also be able to select a specific status to tag your prospects with (sent or responded). Note: Add to Salesforce campaign must be placed before any assignment actions (Assign prospect via Salesforce active assignment rule, Assign to queue, or Assign to user). Otherwise, the campaign might not be assigned properly.|
|Adjust score||This action will add or subtract a specified number of points from the prospect’s score beyond the default score value for that object type.|
|Adjust score for Scoring Category||This action will add or subtract a specified number of points from the prospect’s score for a specific Scoring Category beyond the default score value for that object type.|
|Assign prospect via Salesforce active assignment rule *||This action will push a prospect to your Salesforce active assignment rule. The prospect will be pushed to Salesforce without an owner and then the assigned user will be pushed back down to Pardot once the active assignment rule has determined who it should be routed to. This will not reassign prospects who already have an owner, but will assign “reviewed” prospects.|
|Assign to queue *||This action will assign a prospect to the Salesforce queue of your choice. This will not reassign prospects who already have an owner, but will assign “reviewed” prospects. Note: Do not use this action if your connector is set up for reverse syncing.|
|Assign to user||This action will assign a prospect to the user of your choice. This will not reassign prospects who already have an owner, but will assign “reviewed” prospects. Note: This action should always be the last completion action in a series. Accounts with verified CRM connectors will immediately sync a new prospect with the CRM after the user assignment, before any of the other completion actions in the sequence are performed. Please see note section below for more details.|
|Change prospect custom field value||This action will change a custom field value to the value of your choice.|
|Change prospect default field value||This action will change a default field value to the value of your choice.|
|Create Salesforce task *†||This action will allow you to create a task in Salesforce with a Subject, Assigned To, Priority, and Status. You can optionally add a Due Date, Reminder Date, and Comments. If the prospect only exists in Pardot (no Lead or Contact record in Salesforce), the task will not be pushed up to Salesforce unless you assign them (to a user, a queue‡, a group‡, or active assignment rule).|
|Increment prospect field value||This action allows you to add to or subtract from values for number fields (only number fields will appear for this action).|
|Notify assigned user||This action will notify the prospect's assigned user of their activity.|
|Notify user||This action will notify the user of your choice.|
|Notify user via Twilio (phone)||This action will notify the user of your choice by phone if the Twilio connector is verified.|
|Register for webinar||This action will register the prospect for an upcoming webinar. See Registering a Prospect Via a Form for more information.|
|Remove from list||This action will remove a prospect from the list of your choice.|
|Remove tags||This action will remove the prospect tag(s) of your choice.|
|Send autoresponder email (see note)||This action will send a prospect the email template of your choice.|
|Set profile||This action will set a prospect’s profile to your selected choice.|
|Set prospect's first touch campaign||This action will change a prospect’s Pardot Campaign.|
|* Note: These actions are only for Salesforce connector enabled accounts. For Salesforce campaigns and tasks, this data will be pushed into Salesforce during a sync, which typically takes place upon an assignment for net new leads or on set intervals for records that already exist in Salesforce.
†Note: Task type is set within Salesforce. If you remove a task Status from the picklist in Salesforce, and that Status is being used by a completion action in Pardot, the Status in the completion action will change to the one that is set as the default in Salesforce, unless the removed task Status was marked as 'closed'. If the removed task Status was marked as 'closed' in Salesforce, Pardot will use the first 'closed' Status it finds.
‡Note: If you try to create a Salesforce task on a Prospect whose corresponding Lead or Contact record is assigned to a group or queue, and assign the task to Assigned User or CRM Owner, it will fail. Salesforce does not allow a task to have an owner that is a group or a queue.
- Which completion actions happen first? Completion actions are split into two groups. We first run the completion actions that could affect automations, then we run the affected automations, last we run the rest of the completion actions. Within those two groups of completion actions, they are run in the order in which you place them.
- These are the completion actions that affect automations, run first, and run in the order in which you place them are: add to list, remove from list, change field value, change custom field value, change default field value, adjust score, set profile, change prospect campaign, assign to user, assign to group, add to CRM campaign, change CRM campaign status, create CRM task.
- If you select the actions "assign to user, notify user, set custom field" then Pardot will assign the prospect to the user, set the custom field value, run any real-time related automations, and then notify user.
- To change the default task type in Salesforce, go to Your Name > Setup > App Setup > Customize > Activities > Task Fields. Click Type standard field. Here you have a list of available picklist values. Click Edit next to the Email value and enable Send Email Default field.
Completion Action ThrottlingDifferent completion actions scenarios have different throttling periods, meaning that the completion action will not be triggered again by the same prospect action for a set amount of time. Some completion actions are not throttled, like Change prospect default field value -- if you have this completion action set up to be triggered on a page view it will be triggered each time the prospect views the page.
Other completion actions have throttling periods. For example, a custom redirect with a Send autoresponder completion action has a 4-hour throttling period. This means that if a prospect clicks a custom redirect link and is sent an autoresponder, the prospect clicking that custom redirect will not trigger the autoresponder to send again until 4 hours have passed.
General Completion Actions
|Completion Action||Throttling Period|
|Adjust Score for file downloads and custom redirects||24 hours*|
|Send Autoresponder||Depends: see table below.|
|All Others||No Throttling: Completion actions execute every time action is performed.|
*Note: If you set an Adjust Score completion action to be triggered by an email open it may only trigger on the first open. This depends on your 'Email Open' Scoring Rules. See this article for more information.
When Completion Action is Send Autoresponder Email
|Asset||Throttling Period||Special Cases|
|Forms||10 minutes||If you mark Always display form after submission in step 4 of the Form Wizard, the prospect will receive the auto-responder each time the form is completed.|
|Form Handlers||4 hours||If you mark Disable Visitor Activity Throttling and send autoresponder emails after every submission in your form handler settings, the prospect will receive the auto-responder each time the form handler is submitted. Find out more about this setting here.|
|Other (for example, custom redirects, page actions and so on)||4 hours||N/A|