The Pardot REST API (application programming interface) gives you access to prospects, visitors, activities, opportunities, and other data in Pardot. All Pardot accounts and user roles have full access to the API to perform actions authorized by their role.
Looking for our API documentation?
If your account does not allow multiple prospects with the same email address see Version 3
If your account does allow multiple prospects with the same email address see Version 4
Note: As of February 1, 2014 access to Pardot's API is no longer available with Standard edition accounts. Professional edition accounts have a limit of 25k calls per day, and Ultimate edition accounts have a limit of 100k calls per day.
Should I use the API?Most Pardot customers do not need to use our API. Often, using a form or form handler is preferable to using the API. However, there are two situations where using our API may be necessary.
- CRM Integration: The most common reason for using the API is integration with a CRM other than Salesforce. If you are using a different CRM and wish to sync with Pardot, you will need to manually import data periodically, or write a connector that links your CRM to Pardot.
- Custom Integration: Some clients have integrated Pardot into a process involving third-party tools and services that we don't currently support natively. We have connectors for many popular third-party tools. If there is a tool you'd like to integrate with Pardot, you may need to use our API.
Why use a form or form handler instead of the API?
Below are the main benefits of using a form or form handler instead of the API. For a comprehensive list of benefits, see our article titled "Why should I use Pardot to manage my forms?" Also, check out What are the differences between using a Pardot form and form handler?
- Our forms and form handlers are designed to capture prospect data and activity. A visitor who interacts with a Pardot form or form handler is cookied, so if/when they convert to a prospect, all of their visitor activity is saved. A prospect's score will also be updated automatically when using a form or form handler. Transferring visitor data to a prospect record and updating a prospect's score via the API is possible, but would require writing a good deal of logic and several API requests on your end. If you use a form or a form handler, we handle all of this logic for you!
- Automatically run automation rules when a form is completed. When using a form or form handler, you can have automation rules run automatically upon completion. Automation rules are not available via the API. You could write and run automation rules on your side, but Pardot already handles these for you when using a form or form handler. Read more about completion actions.
- Form handlers allow you to manage forms yourself, while still automatically tracking using Pardot. Capture visitor and prospect data using your own forms, and simply post the data to Pardot. This allows you to do any sort of customization that you would like in terms of the forms look and feel and still have Pardot provide tracking. If you already have forms, you can simply change your form action to update Pardot by using a Pardot iframe.