There are a multiple ways to assign your prospects within Pardot and Salesforce. You can manually assign prospects or use automation rules or completion actions to assign prospects to a user or group based on their activity or information. Our Assigning Prospects article gives more information about assigning prospects to users or groups.
Queues and Active Assignment Rules
If you are a Salesforce user and have your Salesforce connector enabled, you have additional assignment actions available:
- Assign to queue: This action will assign a prospect to the Salesforce lead queue of your choice when the requirements of the rule are fulfilled. This will not reassign prospects who already have an owner. Do not use this action if your connector is set up for reverse syncing.
- Assign prospect via Salesforce active assignment rule: This action will push a prospect to your Salesforce active assignment rule when the requirements of the rule are fulfilled. The prospect will be pushed to Salesforce without an owner and then the assigned user will be pushed back down to Pardot once the active assignment rule has determined who it should be routed to. This will not reassign prospects who already have an owner.
Reassignments and Users without CRM Usernames
We recommend creating users in Pardot for each Salesforce user that is regularly assigned leads or contacts. When the users are created in Pardot, make sure to select their CRM Username from the dropdown on the user record. This establishes a sync between the Pardot user and Salesforce user and allows assignments to map and sync correctly between the two systems.
If the user's CRM username is not selected in Pardot or a user exists in one system but not the other, assigned users will not match across the systems. Below is a table of different scenarios and the results when assignments sync. Reassignments can also have different results depending on if a CRM Username is not present on a user record or a user does not exist in the system. Please note that once a record is assigned in both systems, the reassignment must be made in Salesforce.
|Salesforce: Record doesn't exist Pardot: Record exists and is ready to be assigned||Pardot record is assigned to a user that doesn't have a CRM Username listed in Pardot or that doesn't exist in Salesforce.||Record is created in Salesforce and is assigned to the user whose credentials were used to configure the Pardot / Salesforce connector. This is a default assignment since we don't know which Salesforce user to whom the record should be assigned.|
|Salesforce: Record is created Pardot: Record doesn't exist||Salesforce record is created and assigned to a user that doesn't have a CRM Username listed in Pardot or that doesn't exist in Pardot.||Prospect record is created in Pardot and is listed as unassigned. (The "Automatically create prospects in Pardot if they are created in Salesforce" option must be enabled in the connector settings for the prospect record to be automatically created in Pardot following the record creation in Salesforce.)|
|Salesforce: Record exists in salesforce and needs to be reassigned Pardot: Record exists in Pardot||Salesforce record is reassigned to a user that doesn't have a CRM Username listed in Pardot or that doesn't exist in Pardot.||Pardot record remains assigned to the original assigned user. We recommend adding the user to Pardot, selecting the user's CRM Username, then click "Sync with CRM" at the top of the Pardot prospect to ensure new assignment syncs to Pardot.|
|Salesforce: Record exists in salesforce and needs to be reassigned Pardot: Record exists in Pardot||Salesforce record is reassigned to a user that exists in Pardot and has a CRM Username listed in Pardot.||The new assigned user syncs correctly to Pardot.|
- With a verified Salesforce connector, assigning a prospect in Pardot will cause it to sync with Salesforce. A new Salesforce record will be created if one does not yet exist with the same email address as on the Pardot record. If your Pardot account allows multiple prospects with the same email and the prospect is not already syncing with a record in Salesforce, a new Salesforce record will be created. Visit "When are leads synced with the CRM" for more information on record syncing.
- Remember, if a prospect has a different owner in Salesforce, the Salesforce owner will be the "master" and override the assignment, no matter who you try to assign the record to in Pardot.
- To reassign or unassign records that have already been synced with Salesforce, you will need to make the reassignment in Salesforce. The Salesforce owner will need to be a Pardot user with the appropriate CRM Username designated to ensure both systems reflect the same owner.