Pardot's email builder includes an AddThis plugin to help make your emails more social. AddThis is a leading social sharing platform and allows people to spread your messaging via Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, and dozens of other social networks.
When an AddThis connector is verified in your account, you'll be able to take advantage of Pardot's social sharing functionality within the email builder. Prospects that click on these links in your message can share the content of your email through their own social media accounts (ex: Tweet a link to an online version of your email). There is no need to edit or update the URLs for the AddThis buttons; the share functionality is built-in.
Note: These links do not direct prospects to your own social media websites. They look similar to icons often used for this but this is not their native functionality. However, if you would like to use the AddThis icons to direct people to your company's social media sites (Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter), you can with some tweaks. See Adding Social Media Icons To Email for "Follow Us" Functionality.
How to include AddThis in emails
- Create an AddThis connector under Admin > Connectors > Add Connector. Note: Creating the AddThis connector and setting a username allows AddThis to track any button clicks via analytics, but it is not necessary to create the AddThis connector to use Pardot's built-in AddThis functionality.
- Navigate to Marketing > Emails > New Email.
- In the Building tab, double click an area of content.
- In the Content Editor, double click where you want to place AddThis buttons.
- Click the AddThis plugin (black and white plus-sign).
Clicking the AddThis plugin icon will insert the sharing icons in a pre-configured arrangement with links to email a friend, share on Twitter, update status on LinkedIn, and post on Facebook.
The AddThis functionality is included with the icons no additional set up or configuration is required. This is the default setup but you can also customize images or links.
Example of sharing via Twitter
Example of sharing via Facebook
Example of sharing via Email (Forward to a Friend)
- The "friends" are not reported to Pardot as they go through the AddThis servers and there is no way for Pardot to know what was entered.
- You will be able to see how many times the Forward to a Friend link was clicked within your email report like any other email link.
- Recipients whose email addresses are entered in the "To" field will receive an email that contains a URL which redirects to an untracked, online version of the original email.
If you would like to use your own icons or text links, you can instead simply hyperlink them with variable tags for the different dynamically generated sharing URLs. The URLs are switched in for the following variables:
Note: "AddThis" uses %% tags that create url parameters when the live email is sent. You will receive an error message if you are looking at this within an email proof. You can read more about Testing Live Emails with variable tags in this article.
To establish the exact description that your shared post will bring in, simply add a <meta> tag with a description to the HTML of your email. Insert the following anywhere between the <head> </head> tags, replacing Your Description in this example with the description text that you would like to be shared:
<meta property="og:description" content="Your Description" />Not what you're looking for? Check out these other articles:
Make Your Emails More Social
Social Posting Overview
Adding Social Media Icons to Email for "Follow Us" Functionality