Pardot's CRM connectors enable smooth, timely syncing of prospect data between Pardot and your CRM. Certain types of actions will trigger a prospect record to sync with your CRM (for more information on the data that syncs between Pardot and your CRM, click here).
What is a sync with Pardot and the CRM?
A sync refers to the process by which information from a prospect record is pushed up to your CRM, or information from your CRM is pulled down into the corresponding Pardot prospect record. Pardot pushes up prospects to sync with your CRM at least once every ten minutes.* At least once every ten minutes Pardot requests records that have been updated in your CRM so that we can update the corresponding Pardot record.
If there are more than 100 records to be updated, we will batch these records together and continue syncing every ten minutes until all records have been synced.
Note: If you are using Salesforce as your CRM: Changes to records are synced between Pardot and Salesforce within 2-4 minutes. If you’re updating a large volume of records at a time, it may take longer for all of the changes to sync.
What causes a prospect record to sync from Pardot to the CRM?
There are few different syncing prerequisites to consider when it comes to syncing prospect records from Pardot to your CRM.
For Pardot to sync a prospect with a record in CRM, you must have either an existing CRM record that has a matching email address, OR the prospect must be assigned in Pardot.
For accounts that do not allow multiple prospects with the same email address
CRM and Pardot Records with Matching Email Addresses:
In order for a prospect to sync from Pardot to your CRM, there must be a CRM record with a matching email address to sync with. If a prospect in Pardot has an email address that matches the email address of a record in your CRM, the two records will sync (except for those prospects that have been flagged "Do not sync with CRM"). These prospects do not have to be assigned in Pardot in order to sync.
Prospect Assigned in Pardot but No CRM Record:
If a prospect exists in Pardot with an assigned user, but a record with a matching email address can't be found in your CRM, Pardot will create a new record in your CRM.
For accounts that do allow multiple prospects with the same email address
CRM and Pardot Records with Matching CRM IDs:
In order for a prospect to sync from Pardot to Salesforce, there must be a Salesforce record with a matching CRM ID (lead or contact ID) to sync with. If a prospect in Pardot has a CRM ID that matches the ID of a record in Salesforce, the two records will sync (except for those prospects that have been flagged "Do not sync with CRM"). These prospects do not have to be assigned in Pardot in order to sync.
If a prospect exists in Pardot with an assigned user, but a record with a matching CRM ID can't be found in your CRM, Pardot will create a new record in your CRM.
Activities That Trigger Syncs
Activities and updates to prospect records cause them to join the sync queue. Admin users can see the prospects currently in this queue by going to Administration > Connectors > CRM Connector > Sync Queue (#).
The following prospect activities will cause the record to queue up for syncing:
- Form submission
- Form Handler submission
- Landing Page submission
- Unsubscribing from emails
The following user actions will cause a prospect to queue up for syncing:
- Import of prospects
- Any prospect field changes--including opting out prospects (via import or manually)
- Campaign changes
- Changes to assigned user
- Clicking the "synchronize with CRM" link on any prospect record will cause the prospect to immediately sync (effectively "jumping queue")
The following system actions will cause a prospect to queue up for syncing:
- Any record changes that take place because of an automation rule or completion action.
- Add to Salesforce campaign (via automation rule, segmentation rule, completion action or drip program action)
- Salesforce campaign status update (via automation rule, segmentation rule, completion action or drip program action)
What does NOT cause a prospect record to sync between Pardot and the CRM?
Some kinds of activities do not trigger a prospect to be synced. These activities include:
- Receiving or opening an email (unless this action is set to adjust prospect score).
- Page views (unless this action is set to adjust prospect score).
- Visitor sessions.
- Prospect Account updates (these updates sync as part of a separate process).
- Creating and/or mapping new custom fields.
- Changes to formula fields in your CRM. While Pardot can sync with formula fields, a change to a formula field will not trigger a sync. This is because a formula field is a way of arriving at a value, but does not actually store the value and will not update the last modified timestamp on a record when it changes.
What causes a sync from the CRM to Pardot?
Certain activities in your CRM will cause Pardot to pull updates from your CRM. These include:
- Updating assigned user (owner) for the lead or contact record
- Making field changes to the lead or contact record. A case change to a default field value in Salesforce (for example, updating a lead or contact's first name field value from "adam" to "Adam") will update the case of the mapped default field value in Pardot. For MSCRM, Netsuite and SugarCRM, changes to a default field value's case in the CRM will trigger a sync but will not update the case of the mapped default field value in Pardot.
- If you are a Salesforce, SugarCRM, or MSCRM user, and you have Automatically create prospects in Pardot if they are created as a Lead or Contact in [your CRM] enabled on your connector, updating a lead or a contact record will allow the new record to sync down to the Pardot prospect record. Note for Salesforce users: When this option is enabled, you can create a lead or contact record without an email address and later add an email address. The record will sync down to Pardot after the the email address is added.
- If you use Salesforce, any activity that updates the Last Modified timestamp will trigger a sync to Pardot for existing prospects. It will not create a new prospect.
- In order to automatically create new prospects from Salesforce, the Automatically create prospects in Pardot if they are created in Salesforce connector setting must be enabled, and the connector user must have the appropriate permissions.
- Updating a lead or contact's email address will trigger the prospect to sync to Pardot and update these changes. However, in order for this to pull down accurate changes, the natural sync process must be allowed to take place.
- Please visit Integrating Assignments with Salesforce for more information on assignment options in Salesforce as well as assignment syncing scenarios when a CRM Username is not selected, or a user does not exist in Salesforce or Pardot.
- For an interactive diagram on how syncing works between Pardot and Salesforce, see our Prospect Syncing with Salesforce training page.
- If the Automatically create prospects in Pardot if they are created as a Lead or Contact in Salesforce option is enabled on your connector, you can create a lead or contact record without an email address and later add an email address. The record will sync down to Pardot after the the email address is added.